Lavandula angustifolia

I’m looking forward to a little in-house farming this weekend. Despite my interest in all things agrarian, I had to ask around to find out how to plant my lavender and rosemary seeds. If you’re interested in growing this spring, this may help.

Prep:
To give my lavender enough sunny southern exposure I’ll place the planter in my kitchen window. As for the planter itself, my grandma recommended planting the seeds in a cardboard egg carton with holes in the bottom.

Steps:
1. Beginning with 3 inches of warm water, soak the seeds for 24 hours.
2. Fill the container with soil and pat it down to be sure there are no air pockets.
3. Press the tiny seeds into the soil.
4. Water the seeds and cover the container with plastic wrap to keep the soil warm.
5. Water the soil every couple days.
6. When the seedlings emerge, remove the plastic wrap.
7. Transfer to garden when at least two sets of leaves emerge.

Visual Aid: